Sting Newz Service: Currently there is no requirement to register online news portals with any ministry or department, like there is for newspapers, TV channels and radio channels. You can start off an online news portal like any other website.
There are various guidelines from the Press Information Bureau like number of subscribers, frequency of updates, percentage of current affairs content, etc, if you are looking for accreditation for the journalists of the online news portal!
The ministry of Information & Broadcasting does have accredition (Registration) for online publications, but accredition isn’t necessary for operations. Frankly, you only need accredition for access to government events, and even those aren’t always necessary. The idea of an official “Press Card” is archaic. The conditions specified for accredition:
- The general terms and conditions prescribed for the representatives of print and visual media will also be applicable in case of online editors, correspondents, camerapersons.
- A news site / portal means a website which has at least 1/3rd of its visible content related to news & current affairs originally reported by its own correspondents
- The publications on behalf of which accreditation has already been given will accommodate their online journalists within their existing quota.
- The site should have paid subscribers. However, it should not be insisted on the subscribers right now but some preference will be given to the news sites having subscribers.
- Online news agencies will be governed as per the existing rules prescribed for news agencies.
- The site should have a minimum annual revenue of either Rs.20 lakhs from its news portions only OR Rs.2.5 crores from the entire website including its news portion.
- The site should be updated regularly and at least 6 times daily.
- The news portal should be observing the laws of the land in terms of content, service, promotions, finances and any other aspect of functioning.
- The news site should have been functioning for at least one year.
- The domain name of the site should be registered for at least the next 5 years from the date of application.
- The site should have at least 10,000 page views per day of its news-portion.
- The issue of determining the authenticity of the site may be decided in consultation with VSNL in case of any doubt.
- In the event of a website/portal found involved in any activity perceived as cyber crime now or in future, all accreditations given to representatives of that website/portal will be withdrawn at the discretion of the DG (M&C). (Courtesy: www.quora.com)